Information We Collect
Our main purpose for collecting personal information is develop empirical evidence of the racial pay gap, and to provide otherwise unavailable and unimpeachable information to meet the compensation needs of our users. We collect personal information from you when you provide data while using our Services or from third-parties, such as your employer who may purchase a Service.
We collect personal information from you when you:
- Register @The Equity App: If you register for an account to zap the gap, we will ask for your identifiers such as your email address, a password, detailed professional and employment related information, like your education and employment history, and your salary and compensation information. You also will have the option to provide your name post registration. After you create an account at The Equity App, you are no longer anonymous to us.
- Purchase our Services: If you, at any point, choose to purchase Equity App paid Services or Content, or register to attend any of our webinars or events, we will collect personal and commercial information from you necessary to process such purchase or registration, such as your financial information (like your credit card number and billing address) and we will retain a history of your purchases in our records.
We may collect personal information about you when you interact with our Services:
- Log Information: We may receive and record electronic networking activity information about your interactions with our Services, such as your computer information, connection information, like your IP address, The Equity App cookie information, and the page(s) you visited.
- Usage Data: We may also collect usage data, such as when you last logged in, what pages you viewed, links you clicked, collected by cookies about the pages viewed, links clicked, and other actions taken when accessing our Services.
We collect information about you from third-parties when:
- You connect third-party services to our Services: When you choose to connect third-party services or accounts with your The Equity App account or our other Services, we may receive information about you from that third-party provider. For example, if you choose to connect your LinkedIn, Twitter, or Facebook account to our Services, we will receive your profile information from such account.
Yes, we do. Cookies and similar technologies help us deliver our Website and Services so that they work correctly and are delivered in a way that is valuable to our visitors and users. Cookies are small text files that are automatically placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a web site. They are stored by your Internet browser. Cookies contain basic information about your Internet use. Your browser sends these cookies back to a web site every time you revisit it, so it can recognize your computer or mobile device and personalize your experience. If you want to learn more about cookies, or how to control, disable, or delete them, check out www.aboutcookies.org. For Google Analytics Advertising Features, you can opt-out through Google Ads Settings. In addition, there are various popular products that provide privacy plugins such as Ghostery and AdBlock Plus. Note that if you choose to delete or disable any cookies, our Website or Services may not function properly and your access to some parts of our Website or Services may be degraded or restricted.
How We Use Information
The Equity App uses your personal information to provide, support, and develop our Services, which includes the following purposes:
- Provide you with Services you requested: We will use the personal information you’ve provided to give you access to the Website and Services you have requested, which includes providing aggregate data and average compensation information to generate personalized compensation reports for our users and an anonymous crowdsourced salary database which can be used to evaluate pay equity amongst a variety of industries.
- Send you Service communications: Service-related announcements will be sent to you when necessary. For instance, we might send you an email to reset your password or if a Service is temporarily suspended for maintenance. You may not opt-out of these communications because they’re not promotional in nature (we also hope you don’t consider these messages Spam).
- Inform you about new Services: We are in the building phase and want to let you know when new services or products become available. You may receive marketing communications from us about our Services, practical guidance about salaries, careers, or our events. For example, if you sign-up for an account on The Equity App, but do not wish to receive any marketing emails from us, you can subscribe or unsubscribe from receiving certain types of emails through the email settings of your account. You may also opt-out of receiving these communications by clicking the unsubscribe link provided in each communication and following the instructions provided.
- Develop Crowdsourced Data: If you choose to submit any data through The Equity App platform, the data you input will be used to develop an anonymous and aggregated salary database we call “Crowdsourced Data.” We leverage this sampling of information to generate and provide insights into the controlled and uncontrolled racial pay gap.
- Personalize the content and experience on our Websites and Services: Our Services offer you pay transparency and the opportunity to connect with others in your industry, with your educational background and experience, and in your locality. We use the data we have about you (e.g., data we collect through registration), to personalize our Services for you, such as by recommending that you connect, anonymously, with similarly-situated users, and notifying you of pay inequities that may impact you.
- Comments to posts: If you post a comment, any information submitted may be removed by us in our discretion, but we do not guarantee that any information you choose to post will be removed (visitor comments are not actively monitored). Information you post may be viewed, collected, or used by The Equity App (for example, to improve our Services) or other visitors, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the information you or other visitors choose to post on a Website or Service.
- Customer Support: If you send us a request for assistance regarding any Service issues (e.g., bugs), we use your data such as your contact information and the contents of your communications with us to respond, investigate, and resolve the Service issues and improve our Services to prevent the reoccurrence of such issue.
- Non-Identifiable Insights: We use data to generate insights about our Services that do not identify you. For example, we may use your data to generate statistics about how many visitors visited our Website, created salary profiles during a given month, or share a breakdown of the number of salary profiles we possess by location, profession, or industry.
- Other Business Purposes: We may use your personal information to operate our Websites and Services (e.g. process payment) or undertake tasks for legitimate business purposes. We will disclose the purpose of our use at the time of data collection.
How We Share Information
We occasionally share personal information collected from individuals or their employers with third-parties for various business and commercial purposes, such as the following:
- Partners and joint service offerings: We may share relevant information with our partners (such as sponsors or co-organizers of our events or our referral and resale partners) or other third-parties with whom we jointly offer related services, or have integrated their respective services with Equity App Products.
- Legal disclosures: We reserve the right to disclose your personal data and other information solely to the extent required by applicable laws and when we believe disclosure is necessary to protect our rights (including, but not limited to, intellectual property rights) or to comply with our legal obligations, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process.
- Other The Equity App users: We share non-personally identifiable information in an anonymous and de-identified form with other Equity App Product users and our customers. For example, you may see an anonymous profile that includes the job title, years of experience, and salary information of another The Equity App user with a similar profile as you.
Your Rights and Obligations
What rights do I have over my account Information and preferences?
You can edit your registered account on The Equity App including your information and preferences at any time. If your information changes, you may delete, correct, or update it by making the change in your The Equity App account settings on your own. We retain the personal data you provide while your The Equity App account is in existence or as required to provide, operate, and maintain the Website and Services.
Are you located outside of the United States?
The Equity App is located and headquartered in the United States (U.S.) and our Equity App Products are hosted in the U.S. If you are visiting or providing information from a country outside of the U.S. with laws governing data protection, collection, or use that may differ from U.S. laws, note that you are transferring your data to the U.S., which may have different data protection laws. By providing us your personal data through your use of Equity App Products, you consent to:
- your personal data being transferred to the U.S.;
- the access, use, storage, and other processing of your personal data in the U.S.; and
- jurisdiction for any data issues shall be settled by arbitration, in the U.S., subject to the laws of the District of Columbia.
Are you a California resident?
California residents have certain privacy rights under California law. California residents have the right to request information about the types of personal information we collect, from where we collect it, and with whom we share it. California residents also have the right to request that we delete their personal information. We will do all of this without discriminating against you for exercising these rights. To exercise these rights, California residents can make a request through the Contact Us page of our Website here, or by emailing our Legal Department at email@example.com, with Subject Heading “CCPA Request.” You may opt-out of the sale of your personal information by doing the same.
How do I deactivate my The Equity App account?
If you wish to deactivate your The Equity App account, you may do so at any time by changing your settings in the My Account page when you’re logged-in to your The Equity App account. After your account has been deactivated, you will no longer be able to access The Equity App user account platform, but we will continue to retain certain portions of your data even after you have closed your The Equity App account: (a) if reasonably necessary to comply with our legal obligations, meet regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, maintain security, prevent fraud and abuse, enforce our agreement with you; and (b) fulfill and maintain your request to “unsubscribe” from further messages from us. Also, even after your The Equity App account is closed, we retain de-personalized information you have provided such as de-personalized information included in our anonymized and aggregated salary, education, and experience information.
Other Important Information
How is my information protected?
We implement security safeguards designed to protect your data and we monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks. However, there is no guarantee that your data will not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
Have additional privacy questions?
If you have a privacy question or concern, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.